Thursday, September 10, 2015

Gerard ("Jerry") P. Moran,Jr.

TUESDAY, SEPTEMBER 12, 2006

2,996.I remember...Gerard(Jerry) P. Moran

Petty Officer Second Class Gerard (Jerry) P. Moran,Service dates 1979-1984
Born 1962,Baltimore,MD Died Sept.11,2001 Pentagon


(update 2011: in searching for a lost link in the original post , I was saddened to learn that in March 2011, Jerry Moran's wife Joyce 'Joey' Moran passed away. there is a tribute page posted for both of themhere  and a moving tribute from a friend written here . My deepest sympathy to their families and friends, and especially their children ,Shannon and Dane )



From an article in the BaltimoreSun.com the day after the attack on the Pentagon.
Gerard MoranGerard Moran, a Navy contractor, was on the job in the newly renovated section of the Pentagon Tuesday. He is among those unaccounted for in the aftermath.

Moran, 39, of Upper Marlboro, is a video-teleconferencing engineer at the Pentagon, said Joyce Moran, his wife of 17 years. He also is an assistant coach for the St. Mary's-Ryken junior varsity softball team and had worked as a lighting technician for such Hollywood films as Enemy of the State, Random Hearts and Contact. He had served in the Navy for five years, where he was a combat photographer.

Joyce Moran said she learned about the attack on the Pentagon while she was checking her e-mail at the Office of Naval Intelligence in Suitland.

"My son called," she said. "I just told him to be patient. No news is good news."

The Morans, who moved to Maryland six years ago, have a daughter, 16, and a son, 14.

Besides coaching at St. Mary's-Ryken, a Catholic private school in Leonardtown, Moran also has coached its power-lifting team.

Gary Padgett, head coach of the softball team, said he had called Moran last week to promote him to assistant coach on the varsity squad. "I'm just praying that they find him," he said. "I didn't find out until this morning, and he's all I've been thinking about all day."

Joyce Moran said her husband is a gourmet cook who enjoys camping and fishing.

"My husband was always a survivor in everything he did," she said. "If there's a way, he will survive."

-- Edward Lee
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There's more on the Arlington National cemetary website
Their two children -- Shannon, 16, and Dane, 14 -- are accomplished athletes whose teams their father has coached. 
Family and friends describe Moran as a humorist and a humanitarian. When he was not coaching fast-pitch softball, baseball or power lifting, Moran's wife said, he could be found in the kitchen whipping up gourmet meals and experimenting with recipes from his many cookbooks. Some of his favorite ones are for coconut pork, chicken cordon bleu and prime rib. 
He also enjoys relaxing at home with his family and trout fishing with brother Kevin. 
Kevin Moran's daughter was in one of the World Trade Center towers when it was hit on Tuesday. She escaped before it collapsed. 
-- Tracey A. Reeves
I found tributes that said such things as.....
YOU ALWAYS CARRIED YOURSELF AS A GENTLEMAN, AND ALL AROUND GOOD GUY!
and I also discovered he was nicknamed "Elvis".
"I met Gerry on my first day working at the Pentagon and he greeted me with his huge smile, hearty laugh and typical "newbie" speech..."don't touch my stuff". Gerry was a great person who loved his family so much. Elvis, we miss you and always will. "
And this comment was left on another memorial website for Mr. Moran on Sept.10,2006.
"It was truly a pleasure to have met you long ago. A good father and husband, you were admired by many. "
What a wonderful way for him to be remembered after all these years!
-------------------------------------------
UPDATE SEPTEMBER 11,2007
Mr.Moran, I continue to hold your family and friends in my prayers. Learning a little about your life through the 2,996 Project
has made me decide that when the Pentagon Memorial is completed? I would like to one day visit, and find the part of the memorial dedicated to you.
-----------------------------------------------
Update: December 2008
Yesterday, I was able to visit your bench at the Pentagon Memorial.


Photobucket
I said a prayer for you and your family there, and was thankful that I had a quiet and peaceful place to stop and remember you.

No comments: